Outdoor education Internship
Join the Fuze Ecoteer team and help facilitate and
lead groups of students through adventure and conservation activities.
Location: Peninsular Malaysia
Category: Tourism & Community Engagement
Job Type: Internship
Contract Length: 6 Months
Application Closing Date: Ongoing
Start Date: 1st June 2020
Outgoing, love working with people and have a keen interest in outdoor education? Completing the outdoor education Internship with Fuze Ecoteer will give you the chance to learn new skills and work with trained professionals as you facilitate university, school and corporate groups at our project sites around Malaysia.
Whats in it for you?
Aside from visiting incredible destinations in Malaysia such as the Perhentian Islands and the rainforests of Merapoh to deliver group activities, you’ll receive on the job training from our team of qualified professionals. To get an idea of what we do visit our school trips page here. There’s a loads of additional benefits with this Outdoor Education Internship too.
Skills for your CV:
- Experience working in outdoor education
- Excellent communication skills, working with different teams across different sites and delivering activities to a diverse range of participants
- Problem solving and using initiative to overcome challenges that may arise
- Exceptional organisation skills to plan and prepare for group activities
- Project report writing and analysis of feedback
- Accommodation whilst at Project sites included in the admin fee (if applicable). You’ll be in dorms with our project interns typically based in either the Perhentian Islands or Merapoh
- Access to communal staff food at each project site
- Free Wifi! All our projects have access to wifi so you can keep your Instagram up to date
- 1 day off per week, plus a block of 4 days off each month during project season (Feb to Nov)
- Additional allowance of RM250 per month after 6 months of interning
- All work related expenses (Unfortunately this doesn’t include your travel to or from Malaysia)
- Written reference letter upon completion of internship. We’ll do our best to help you land your dream job
What we need from you
To apply for this role you’ll need to meet a few requirements and most importantly be willing and committed to get stuck in. You can also find out a bit more about the role itself by reading about the duties you’ll be completing throughout the internship.
- Outgoing person comfortable interacting with people from differing backgrounds and cultures
- Experience working outdoors with an excellent level of fitness
- Confident communicator and motivator
- Passionate about conservation and community issues and research
- Highly organised and ability to work to a schedule
- Team player but also comfortable working independently
- Willing to learn new skills and flexible and adaptable to challenging situations
- Efficient time management skills and able to meet deadlines
- Knowledge of all Fuze Ecoteer projects in Malaysia
- Fluent written and spoken English. Ability to speak Bahasa Malay is desirable but not essential
- First Aid trained or willing to undertake a course
- IT competency
Key duties and responsibilities
- Organise group visits and ensure appropriate preparations are in place for their arrival
- Lead team building activities with groups of 20-200 participants (split into smaller groups) ages range from 10 – 60 years old.
- Assist outward bound activities such as jungle trekking, snorkelling, kayaking, white water rafting etc.
- Lead small groups during cultural and community activities including school classes, DIY, painting
- Understand and work with all Fuze-Ecoteer projects as an when required but primarily you will be based between Perhentian and Merapoh and coordinating their group visits
- Collect feedback and conduct reviews of all group visits in order to improve and build on our programme
- Assist with daily chores (cleaning, cooking etc) and any other duties at projects when there are no groups
- Continue professional development learning more about safety and outward bound activities
- Report to your supervisor and collaborate with other teams where necessary, maintaining open communication at all times
- Follow agreed timetables to deliver work in a timely fashion
- Display a professional example to local community members, volunteers and colleagues
- Follow instructions as delivered by project managers when on site
- Adherence to all safety measures, risk assessments, protocols, procedures and budgets as directed by Fuze-Ecoteer
- Any other duties that may be required including; cover for colleague’s leave and illness, providing adequate notice of travel arrangements (work related or personal)
How To Apply
Please submit your CV, and Cover Letter to [email protected].
For more information or if you have any further questions about the role please email [email protected].
To keep up to date with all volunteer, internship and career opportunities, sign up to our mailing list here.
Watch the video below to see what you will get up to whilst on the Outdoor Education Internship.