Perhentian Ecotourism Internship
Join the Perhentian Eco Education team on an ecotourism internship in the Perhentian islands, Malaysia
Location: Perhentian Kecil, Malaysia
Category: Tourism & Community Engagement
Job Type: Ecotourism Internship
Contract Length: 3-9 Months
Application Closing Date: 7th November 2021
Start Date: June 2022 onwards
An Ecotourism Leader is committed to working with the island community to ensure the increased tourist activities are sustainable. This includes delivering eco-snorkel tours that promote responsible snorkelling, community and village tours, local cooking classes and managing waste responsibly.
Key duties and responsibilities
- Organise Malay dinners and Kuih making sessions for volunteers and tourists with the Perhentian Island Ladies Association (PILA) as per request.
- Deliver village and community tours to tourists and providing insight into island life.
- Investigate new travel agents to sell eco-snorkel tours and community visits. Promote these opportunities on Trip advisor.
- Work with qualified Eco-Snorkel guides to help them improve and lead trips when needed.
- Produce informative displays of how the village and islands have developed to inform and influence protection towards the islands.
- Discuss the impacts of tourism and how important a healthy and clean environment is to tourism.
- Participate in beach and village cleanups, encouraging villagers to get involved.
- Assist with composting and recycling projects and promote sustainable practices by sharing information.
- Collect photos and videos of activities for social media where appropriate and produce blogs about your experience when requested.
- When required, assist the project manager and other interns with volunteer and research activities including water confidence, school classes and eco snorkeling practices.
- Report to your supervisor and collaborate with other interns when necessary, maintaining open communication at all times.
- Follow agreed to timetables to deliver work in a timely fashion.
- Display a professional example to local community members, volunteers and colleagues.
- Follow instructions as delivered by project managers when on site.
- Ensure the project house is kept clean and tidy, assisting with daily chores on a rota basis.
- Adherence to all safety measures, protocols, procedures and budgets as directed by Fuze Ecoteer.
- Any other duties that may be required including; group events, cover for colleague’s leave and illness, providing adequate notice of travel arrangements (work-related or personal)
- Keen interest in sustainable tourism and community development.
- Excellent communication skills and a confident public speaker.
- Excellent level of English, verbal and written. Knowledge of Bahasa Malaysia desirable but not essential.
- Highly organised and ability to work to a schedule.
- Team player but also comfortable working independently.
- Comfortable working with children.
- Interest to host and interact with tourists.
- Efficient time management skills and ability to work to deadlines.
- Flexible and adaptable.
- Knowledge of the work of the Perhentian Eco-Education Project in Malaysia.
- Interest in conservation and sustainability.
- IT competency.
- International interns are required to pay a deposit UKP100 to Fuze Ecoteer. Interns will receive the deposit money back when his/her internship contract intern term ends and work performance is satisfactory.
- Free accommodation – you will live in the project house, sharing a room with at most 3 other people and have access to communal food shared with team members and volunteers.
- Free food – You’ll get access to communal staff food at the PEEP House where you’ll be expected to muck in and help cook. Plus treat yourself to some delicious local cuisine from around the village or when attending Malay dinners with our volunteers.
- For international interns, visa cost will be borne by the intern. FE can help with the visa application process for a fee.
- Free Wifi at our project sites.
- 1 day off per week, plus a block of 7 days off every 90 days during project season (March to Oct). Hop on a water taxi and snorkel amongst some impressive marine life, or head further afield. You might as well see some of the fantastic sights Malaysia has while you’re here.
- Allowance of RM250 per month from the 7 months onwards if you are able to commit to a longer-term internship.
- All work-related expenses (Unfortunately this doesn’t include your travel to or from Malaysia).
- Written reference letter upon completion of the internship.
How To Apply
Please submit your CV, and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information or if you have any further questions about the role please email email@example.com.