MARINE REsearch CO-ORDINATOR Internship
Join the Perhentian Marine Research Station with their marine research team.
Location: Perhentian Kecil, Malaysia
Job Type: Internship
Contract Length: 7-8 Months
Start Date: March to October 2024.
The aim of the PMRS research station is to monitor the marine ecosystems and assess population dynamics
and movements of specific fauna living in the Perhentian Islands Marine Park. The results of the studies
will be given to decision-makers to help them effectively manage the Marine Park. Specific areas PMRS
looks into are seagrass, coral rehabilitation, sharks and turtles. The project is funded by voluntourism and
school and corporate groups.
As Marine Research Coordinator of Perhentian Marine Research Station, you will work closely with
station manager to execute and monitor research projects in Perhentian Islands. Besides research activities,
the role include various things such assisting in volunteer’s activities, volunteer training and conducting
station activities. You will be part of a team who will train and lead volunteers to conduct the research,
so training to the highest level is of utmost importance. This role will require excellent man management
skills (interns, volunteers, villagers and resort staff), organization skills and leadership. You will need to
have the passion to make a difference in the Perhentian Islands and remember this is a long-term project
that you are being part of.
- Assist in establishing habitat monitoring projects around the islands including coral reef &
- Assist Station Manager in conduct bi-annual seagrass surveys in the Perhentian Islands using
Seagrass watch methods
- Monitoring of data for quality and accuracy, if any decrease in quality, then retraining shall
- Assist in assessing of artificial reefs in the islands including purpose sunk reefs to act as fishing
grounds for the villagers on the boundaries of the park.
- Assist in providing relevant and accurate research trainings to all interns and volunteers.
- Assist in ensuring data is input on a daily basis
- Assist in processing data so that it can be used on posters and in reports etc
- Assist in creating posters and displays that inform tourists about the implications of the research
- Assist in analyzing the data to seek for causes for environmental damage.
- Long term commitment for one season (March – October 2024)
- Attention to detail when it comes to research training, data collection, data input and research
- Good PR & ensure a good level of communication between yourself and colleagues at all times.
- High level of water safety awareness.
- Undertake and demonstrate consistent planning of your workload and adhere to set deadlines.
- Meet regularly with your team and other project leaders in the islands as the timetable of the project
- Complete Risk Assessments, Operating Procedures and programme content as required.
- Complete reports as required.
- Provide cover for colleague’s leave and illness as required.
- Ensure good financial management by detailing proposed and actual expenditure and filing
- Travel for the purposes of work following agreed timetabling and budgets.
- Provide adequate notice of any travel needed whether work related or personal.
- Must display a professional example to volunteers and colleagues at all times.
- Must adhere to all safety measures, protocols and procedures as directed by Ecoteer.
- Must notify Project Leader of issues that affect the completion of set tasks.
- You are expected to carry out daily house chores with the other staff on a rota basis.
- Take on tasks in addition to the descriptions above as delegated by the Project Leader that
are deemed fair, achievable within the present task load and within the person’s capability.
- Excellent communication skills and confident public speaker.
- Excellent research data collection experience
- Good swimming ability and water safety awareness.
- High level of organization and ability to meet deadlines.
- Potential management skills and a strong desire to be a leader.
- Knowledge of the work of Fuze-Ecoteer and marine conservation in Malaysia.
- Competent in using Microsoft Office.
- A flexible and adaptive approach.
- Must be comfortable in accessing assistance for a demanding role.
How To Apply
Please submit your CV, and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and please include the title of the role you are applying for.
For more information or if you have any further questions about the role please email email@example.com
If that’s not enough to convince you, check out this video of the project. It’ll give you a pretty good idea about where you’ll be staying and what you’ll be up to.