Perhentian Islands Waste management Internship
Join the Perhentian Eco Education Project working on waste management
Project: Perhentian Eco-Education Project
Location: Perhentian Kecil, Malaysia
Category: Waste Management
Job Type: Waste Management Internship
Duration: 3-9 months
Start Date: March to June or July to October 2024.
You can also stay all season from March to October.
Enjoy working with people and fancy living the Island life? If you’re great at building relationships, organised, and are looking to gain experience in waste management with conservation and community development thrown in, then this waste management internship is the role for you.
As a Waste Management intern, you will take charge of managing the current recycling system and finding new ways to reduce waste. Furthermore, you’ll work within a dedicated team, promote sustainable tourism practices and help share our passion for protecting our natural world.
Key Duties And Responsibilities
- Responsible for data collection and data entry for the ongoing recycling system.
- Accountable for overseeing the repair and maintenance of recycling bins strategically deployed across the entire island.
- Analyze the environmental impact of waste management practices and suggest eco-friendly alternatives or improvements.
- Engage in community outreach activities to raise awareness about waste management and encourage sustainable behaviors.
- Coordinate with vendors and stakeholders to optimize collection, sorting, and disposal processes for different types of waste.
- Assist in the development of educational materials and campaigns to promote waste reduction and proper recycling habits.
- Research and propose innovative ideas to enhance waste management practices and increase recycling rates.
- Work alongside stakeholders (NGO’s, government agencies, resorts or dive shops etc) to execute waste reduction initiatives, actively managing and promoting existing water refill stations and straw collection programs, seeking opportunities for enhancement and devising effective advertising strategies to increase public awareness and participation.
- Organize and facilitate weekly waste collection activities: straw collection with SKPP and volunteers.
- Work with fellow interns and volunteers to deliver school clubs and classes and any other jobs or events that may arise.
- Ensure the project house is kept clean & tidy with the help of our volunteers through daily chores on a rota basis.
- Capture photos and videos of our volunteers where possible and assist with updating the projects social media channels. Writing blogs may also be required.
- Report to the project leader and collaborate with other interns where necessary, maintaining open communication at all times.
- Follow agreed on timetables to deliver work in a timely fashion.
- Display a professional example to local community members, volunteers and colleagues.
- Adherence to all safety measures, protocols, procedures and budgets as directed by Fuze Ecoteer.
- Any other duties that may be required including; helping with group events, cover for colleague’s leave and illness, providing adequate notice of travel arrangements (work-related or personal)
- Free accommodation – you will live in the project house, sharing a room with at most 3 other people and have access to communal food shared with team members and volunteers.
- Free food – You’ll get access to communal staff food at the PEEP House where you’ll be expected to muck in and help cook. Plus treat yourself to some delicious local cuisine from around the village or when attending Malay dinners with our volunteers.
- For international interns, visa cost will be borne by the intern. FE can help with the visa application process for a fee.
- Free Wifi at our project sites.
- 1 day off per week, plus a block of 7 days off every 90 days during project season (March to Oct). Hop on a water taxi and snorkel amongst some impressive marine life, or head further afield. You might as well see some of the fantastic sights Malaysia has while you’re here.
- Allowance of RM250 per month from the 7 months onwards if you are able to commit to a longer-term internship.
- All work-related expenses (Unfortunately this doesn’t include your travel to or from Malaysia if required).
- Written reference letter upon completion of the internship.
- Keen enthusiasm in sustainability and waste reduction.
- Willingness to learn about new waste management technologies, regulations, and strategies to enhance the current systems and activities.
- Comfortable with community engagement, outreach, and public speaking to raise awareness about waste management and sustainability practices.
- An interest and passion for conservation and recycling. As part of your role, you’ll educate our many people and impart knowledge to them surrounding important conservation and recycling issues in the area.
- Team player but willing to work individually at times.
- Good water safety awareness and confidence.
- A confident communicator, comfortable with presenting to groups.
- First aid training is desirable but basic training can be provided on arrival.
How To Apply
Please submit your CV, and Cover Letter to email@example.com and please include the title of the role you are applying for.
For more information or if you have any further questions about the role please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To get a real idea about the waste management internship by watching the video below.