awarenes and outreach
Join our Eco Education Project on the Perhentian Islands as our awareness and outreach co-ordinator.
Encourage and engage Malaysians in citizen science and help them explore their amazing tropical islands.
Location: Perhentian Islands, Malaysia
Category: Marine Eco Education
Job Type: Trainee (RM500 allowance)
Contract Length: 8 Months (opportunity to extend)
Application Closing Date: 16th December 2023
Start Date: March 2024
As the Awareness and Outreach Coordinator is committed to outreaching to stakeholders (NGO’s, government agencies, schools and universities etc) to spread the awareness and conservation of marine. This includes delivering awareness talk at schools and universities and outreach to them.
- Assist Project Manager to organize meetings with other stakeholders to discuss any issues at Perhentian Islands and the possibility of a collaboration to work towards a sustainable island.
- Be the liaison person between all the stakeholders.
- Assist school clubs classes and activities with the direction from Project Manager.
- Writing to stakeholders (NGO’s, schools and universities etc) regarding the plan awareness projects and advertise.
- Creating comprehensive plans to reach target audiences, identifying key stakeholders, and determining the best channels to disseminate information effectively.
- Generating engaging content (such as newsletters, social media posts, press releases, etc.) to communicate messages and increase awareness. Coordinating the distribution of this content across various platforms.
- Establishing and nurturing relationships with community members, partner organizations, stakeholders, and the media. Organizing events, workshops, or campaigns to engage and educate the community.
- Planning, executing, and evaluating awareness campaigns or initiatives. Monitoring campaign performance, tracking metrics, and making data-driven adjustments for maximum impact.
- Assessing the effectiveness of outreach efforts by collecting feedback, analyzing data, and preparing reports. Using insights to refine strategies and improve future outreach initiatives.
- Collect photos and videos of activities for social media where appropriate and produce blogs about your experience when requested.
- When required, assist the project manager and other interns with volunteer and research activities including water confidence, school classes and eco snorkelling practices.
- Report to your supervisor and collaborate with other interns when necessary, maintaining open communication at all times.
- Follow agreed to timetables to deliver work in a timely fashion.
- Display a professional example to local community members, volunteers and colleagues.
- Follow instructions as delivered by project managers when on site.
- Ensure the project house is kept clean and tidy, assisting with daily chores on a rota basis.
- Adherence to all safety measures, protocols, procedures and budgets as directed by Fuze Ecoteer.
- Any other duties that may be required including; group events, cover for colleague’s leave and illness, providing adequate notice of travel arrangements (work-related or personal).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and a confident public speaker. The ability to craft compelling messages, communicate effectively with diverse audiences, and present information clearly is vital.
- Excellent level of English and Bahasa Malaysia, verbal and written.
- Highly organised and ability to work to a schedule.
- Team player but also comfortable working independently.
- Interest to host and interact with tourists.
- Efficient time management skills and ability to work to deadlines.
- Flexible and adaptable.
- Knowledge of the work of the Perhentian Eco-Education Project in Malaysia.
- Interest in conservation and sustainability.
- IT competency.
- Paid traineeship – You will get paid as stated in the contract.
- Free accommodation – you will live in the project house, sharing a room with at most 3 other people and have access to communal food shared with team members and volunteers.
- Free food – You’ll get access to communal staff food at the PEEP House where you’ll be expected to muck in and help cook. Plus treat yourself to some delicious local cuisine from around the village or when attending Malay dinners with our volunteers.
- For international interns, visa cost will be borne by the intern. FE can help with the visa application process for a fee.
- Free Wifi at our project sites.
- 1 day off per week, plus a block of 7 days off every 90 days during project season (March to Oct). Hop on a water taxi and snorkel amongst some impressive marine life, or head further afield. You might as well see some of the fantastic sights Malaysia has while you’re here.
- All work-related expenses (Unfortunately this doesn’t include your travel to or from Malaysia).
- Written reference letter upon completion of the internship.
How To Apply for this Assistant Role
Please submit your CV, and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and please include the title of the role you are applying for.
For more information or if you have any further questions about the role please email email@example.com.
To keep up to date with all volunteer, internship and career opportunities, sign up to our mailing list here.
If that’s not enough to convince you, check out this video of the project. It’ll give you a pretty good idea about what you’ll be getting up to.