Social Media Internship
Do you want to start a career in social media with a focus on marine conservation ? if so this is the perfect internship for you.
Location: Perhentian Kecil, Malaysia
Category: Perhentian Social Media
Job Type: Internship
Contract Length: 4-months (starting March or July) and 8-months (starting March) periods available between March and October
Application Closing Date: 21st October 2020
Start Date: Early March or July
Love taking photos and making videos? Love doing this on tropical paradise islands? Want to help promote marine conservation awareness online ? If you say yes to those three questions we want to hear from you.
The Social Media Internships is based on the Perhentian Islands in Malaysia. You will work alongside the three projects but will report to the PEEP manager. You will be helping to document the activities of the projects through photography, videography and written content. The teams are equally passionate about conservation, helping them to raise awareness and promoting their amazing programmes. The Social Media Intern will be based in the Perhentian Islands but will travel around Peninsular Malaysia when needed.
What we need from you for Social Media internship
To apply for this role you’ll need to meet a few requirements and be committed to ensure we promote conservation awareness online. You can also find out a bit more about the role itself by reading about the duties you’ll be completing throughout the internship.
- Must have an interest and passion for marine conservation.
- Have your own camera and editing equipment.
- Must be open-minded, willing, and determined to try and learn new things, languages, and cultures
- Must be flexible and quick to adapt to new surroundings – especially humid tropical climates and changes in sleep schedules – and sudden changes in schedules
- Experience living in basic and rustic conditions preferred
- Must be comfortable communicating in English on a regular basis
- Must be able to swim and tread water
- Experience in public outreach and engagement preferred
- Knowledge of marine conservation in Malaysia and the work of Ecoteer preferred
- High level of water safety awareness preferred
- Ability to free dive preferred
- Must be a team player but able to work individually when required
- Strong leadership skills preferred
- Must have a strong sense of responsibility and discipline in conducting as well as in managing volunteers
- Must possess efficient time management and organisation skills to meet set deadlines
- Must be competent in Windows OS and Microsoft Office
- Fluency in social media, especially experience making engaging and professional posts preferred – please provide example(s)
- First Aid training desirable but basic training can be provided upon arrival
- International interns are required to pay a deposit of UKPounds100 to Fuze Ecoteer. Interns will receive the deposit money back when his/her internship contract intern term ends and work performance is satisfactory.
Key duties and responsibilities of the Social Media internship
- Educate volunteers about important conservation issues by leading them to conduct awareness campaigns, beach cleans and snorkel tours
- Introduce the volunteers to the local communities and cultures through village tours and Malay Dinners
- Interact with and assist the local Department of Fisheries rangers in nesting beach and hatchery management, and encourage volunteers to do the same, to maintain our relationship with them
- Ensure all safety precautions are taken whilst in the water and make sure all volunteers are accounted for during water-based activities
- Collect and record feedback from volunteers and regularly review the programme to maximise volunteer experience and produce reports when requested by the project manager
- Ensure the project house is kept clean & tidy with the help of our volunteers through daily chores on a rota basis
- Assist in collecting and analyzing photo-ID and nesting data when necessary – this includes conducting kayak surveys (1.5-2 hours) and nightly beach patrols on a 400m beach.
- Identify and implement ideas to increase the diversity of project and/or conservation-related activities to increase volunteer engagement
- Complete projects and reports as required by the project manager such as producing informative displays and research impact reports to share with tourists
- Follow agreed timetables to deliver work in a timely fashion
- Be a professional example of a leader and marine conservationist to local community members, volunteers and colleagues
- Adherence to all safety measures, protocols, procedures and budgets as directed by Fuze Ecoteer
- Any other duties that may be required including helping with group events, cover for colleague’s leave and illness, shop for project supplies (e.g. food and cleaning supplies), and participate in local/island events
How To Apply
Please submit your CV, and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information or if you have any further questions about the role please email email@example.com.
If that’s not enough to convince you, check out this video of past marketing and social media interns. It’ll give you a pretty good idea about where you’ll be staying and what you’ll be up to.