Use the tabs below to quickly navigate the page.
Share this page
Why Choose This Project?
Our Marine Conservation Volunteer Project is the newest of all the FE established projects with an aim to preserve and restore coral reefs and seagrass beds around the islands. This project is perfect for you if you want to improve your diving skills or interested in coral reef restoration and conservation. You will also be able to learn valuable conservation and stakeholder engagement skills which are a must for any future conservationists.
About the Project
The Perhentian Marine Research Station is a small scale research station which focuses on the practical aspects of marine research and conservation. This means that PMRS can accommodate a wide range of volunteers who undergo training in marine life identification and underwater survey techniques, before the acquisition of survey data.
What kind of research, is always based on what’s needed at that moment. However, our primary aim is to collect vital marine data through the mapping and health assessments of seagrass beds and coral reefs. Moreover, we also seek to collaborate and work with dive centres and local resorts for environmental conservation. Our team also works closely with the Marine Parks Department and Reef Check Malaysia. Learn more about the project and its impacts in 2019.
I first thought I was going to dive! I quickly realize that there, diving is a unique experience! I felt my skills improving a lot there! Indeed I trained to control my buoyancy in a very precise way. I couldn't leave the place without thinking I would be back!
Volunteer Project Details
Conservation in Action
Arrival on Monday | Briefing and Orientation | Water confidence session and project initiation.
Dive Course (if you are a Qualified Diver, you will start research training and survey immediately)
Week 2 onwards
- Research Training and Survey Weeks – an example of the dives are below, but what you do depends on the needs of the project.
- 1 survey skills & buoyancy dive
- 2 coral nursery dives
- 2 Reef survey dives (fish/invertebrates & substrate/coral health).
- 3 other dives – clean up, ghost net removal. depending on what is needed.
- Sundays – It’s time for you to wave goodbye to the island. If you are staying for more than a week, it is your day off! Have fun exploring the island or do more diving!
* Detailed itinerary will be provided after booking with us.